The Eisenhower Public Library District’s engaged staff empowers patrons of all ages to be successful and informed members of their communities. The Library is a responsive and creative hub of the communities of Norridge and Harwood Heights through excellence in programming, collections, and information services. The Library is a responsible steward and invests in resources, tools and technologies in service of the greater good of Norridge and Harwood Heights.
The Eisenhower Public Library District will focus its resources in the following four strategic principles. Activities are examples of actions, and may vary as the plan progresses.
The Library will focus on internal and external communication to enhance operations and solidify the Library’s brand in the community.Potential Activities
- Build an internal communication plan for smooth functioning among departments.
- Develop a cohesive suite of external communication tools, including a revised logo, branding, messages, and signage.
- Create mechanisms to communicate messages to and receive feedback from the community.
The Library will create a multilevel, multigenerational, responsive and unified approach to programming.Potential Activities
- Develop a community-centered approach to programming, meeting the needs of district residents for Library and non-Library topics.
- Forge operational structures to plan programming across departments.
- Create an assessment plan for all programming.
Service and Stewardship
The Library will maintain its spirit of generosity to district residents and Library visitors while clearly focusing service on the district community.Potential Activities
- Acknowledge the positive reputation of the Library within the district and outside its borders; thoughtfully design a response to manage that success.
- Communicate clearly to district residents that they are the Library’s primary customer. Create a dialogue with community members to understand their impressions and concerns.
- Have a clear message for out-of-district visitors, but continue to provide a hospitable atmosphere.
- Examine Library services as a whole, and evaluate opportunities for expansion and enhancement.
The Library will be focused, intentional, and swift in adopting technology to serve its patrons. The Library will seek to adopt technologies that enhance its reputation for excellent service.Potential Activities
- Adopt, market, and connect with technology.
- Teach patrons to use technologies at every level and age group.
- Command technologies to enhance patron services from inside and outside the library industry.
Markers of Success
The Library will have successfully enacted these strategic principles when it has achieved:
- A friendly and inviting building and staff;
- Clear and strong inter-departmental communication;
- Community-centered programming without turnaways;
- Consistent and recognizable branding and communication outside the Library;
- Forward-thinking and responsive technology and social media offerings;
- Robust dialogue with a community that knows the Library focuses on it;
- The role of a sought-after hub of the community;
- Satisfied patrons who find what they want when they need it.