Our year-long challenge is here to help you expand your reading horizons. For each month of 2021 we’ve created a reading task to encourage you to try something new. Complete the tasks in order or jump around the calendar. It’s up to you.
Throughout the year, check our library blog or ask your librarians for book suggestions to help you complete the challenge. Download a printable form, or ask for one at the library. Give us a call at 708-867-7828. We’re here to help.
In December 2021, submit your completed challenge for a chance to win an advanced reader copy of a new book to help you get started on your 2022 challenge.
Check our Reading Challenge blog for suggestions to help complete each month’s task.
01. January is a time for resolutions. Read a self help book or a novel about new beginnings.
02. February is African-American History Month. Read a book by a black author or featuring a black main character.
03. March is Women’s History Month. Read a nonfiction book or classic novel written by a woman.
04. April is National Poetry Month! What better time to read a book of poetry?
05. The first Saturday in May is Free Comic Book Day and the fifth is National Cartoonist’s Day. This month, read a graphic novel or two.
06. June is Audiobook Appreciation Month. Listen to an audiobook on CD or, better yet, download a book with one of our digital services, Hoopla or Libby/Overdrive.
07. July is Picnic Month, Hot Dog Month, Grilling Month, Ice Cream Month, Blueberry Month, and Watermelon Month. Seems like it’s time to read a cook book or a food memoir.
08. It’s August and we’re in the middle of the Dog Days of Summer. What a great time to read a book about man’s best friend or any other pets.
09. September 15th to October 15th is Hispanic Heritage Month. Read a book by a Latinx author.
10. October is the spookiest season of the year which means it’s time to read a scary book.
11. November is Native American Indian Heritage Month a great time to read a book by or about indigenous people.
12. During December, the days are getting shorter and time is precious. Read a novella or a short story collection.