We are dedicated to the health and safety of our patrons, staff, and community. Therefore we are taking a measured approach to reintroducing library services after Governor Pritzker’s stay-at-home executive order.
Our plan continues to evolve based on recommendations from the state of Illinois, and public health officials. Because guidelines and best practices may change, please keep an eye out for updates on our website and social media channels, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Contactless Home Delivery and Curbside Pickup
Since June 4th we have been offering home delivery of books, movies, and other library materials to residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights.
On July 6th we will also be offering curbside pickup for Norridge/Harwood Heights drivers and pedestrians.
To request pickup or delivery:
Place holds on books, movies, or other items as you normally would. You can place holds online in the library catalog or by calling 708-867-7828.
When your items are ready, we will contact you to discuss how you would like to receive your materials.
If you choose curbside pickup, come to the library and follow the posted instructions for drivers or pedestrians.
If you choose delivery, your loans will be delivered to your home and you will receive a phone call or text message letting you know that they have arrived.
Remember, borrowed materials may be returned in the drive-up book drops accessible from Wilson Avenue.
Opening the Building
On July 27th, we plan to open the library to the public with Illinois Department of Public Health approved safety precautions in place.
Thank you for following our precautions and for your understanding during this reopening transition.
11:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Friday – Saturday:
9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Patrons over age two will be required to wear a mask that covers both nose and mouth while in the building. If you do not have one, a disposable mask will be provided.
- If a medical condition makes wearing a mask impossible, please contact us and we will work on providing reasonable accommodations. 708-867-7828.
- The number of visitors inside the building at one time will be limited.
- We ask visitors to limit the length of time spent in the building to one hour.
- We ask that family groups stay together when in the building.
- Public computer use will be limited to one hour and only available to residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights with library cards.
- Our public Wi-Fi has been extended to reach further into our parking lot. Please maintain social distancing practices when using wireless internet.
- Children under the age of ten must be attended by a parent or caregiver older than 14.
- No study rooms or meeting rooms will be available.
- No eating or drinking will be allowed in the library.
- The Workshop, Teen Space, Quiet Room, and other spaces may be closed.
- We ask that borrowed materials be returned via the drive-up book drops accessible from Wilson Avenue. Please do not attempt to disinfect materials before returning them.
- Some sections of the library collection may be temporarily inaccessible, but librarians can retrieve items from these shelves.
- All in-house programs and events are cancelled until further notice. We will continue to offer programs virtually on the internet.
- You may participate in our Summer Reading Challenge online.
- Please consider using our downloadable ebooks and audiobooks and other digital library resources.
- Fannie’s Cafe will open at Eisenhower only when we return to full service. The location at 4042 N. Milwaukee Ave is currently open.
What Else Are We Doing to Keep Patrons and Staff Safe?
During this reopening period we are implementing procedures to make the transition as safe as possible.
- While in the building, staff will be issued personal protective equipment including gloves, face coverings, and hand sanitizer.
- We will offer shortened hours to allow time for enhanced cleaning.
- Based on current research, library materials will be quarantined for at least 72 hours before being returned to circulation. Materials will be checked in and removed from patron accounts after the end of quarantine. No late fees will be incurred.
- Plexiglas shields have been placed at all public service points.
- Seating within the library will be reduced and separated to promote social distancing.
- Public computer stations will be separated as well.
- All toys will be removed from Kids World.
- Staff experiencing Covid-19 related symptoms will be required to stay home.
Call us at 708-867-7828 or use our live online chat.