We are dedicated to the health and safety of our patrons, staff, and community. Therefore we are taking a measured approach to reintroducing library services.
Our plan continues to evolve based on recommendations from the state of Illinois and public health officials. Because guidelines and best practices may change, please keep an eye out for updates on our website and social media channels, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Opening the Building
On July 13th, we plan to open the library to the public with limited services and Illinois Department of Public Health approved safety precautions in place.
Thank you for following our precautions and for your understanding during this reopening transition. You can help us stay open by wearing a mask and following our other safety precautions.
Monday – Thursday:
11:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Friday – Saturday:
9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Patrons over age two will be required to wear a mask over nose and mouth. Disposable masks will be provided.
- If a medical condition makes wearing a mask impossible, contact us for reasonable accommodations. 708-867-7828.
- Stay at least six feet from staff and other patrons.
- Occupancy will be limited. You may need to wait outside.
- We ask visitors to limit visit length to one hour.
- We ask that family groups stay together when in the building.
- Children under the age of ten must be attended by a parent or caregiver older than 14.
- Some sections of the collection may be inaccessible. Librarians can retrieve items from these shelves.
- We ask that borrowed materials be returned via the drive-up book drops accessible from Wilson Avenue. Please do not attempt to disinfect materials before returning them.
What Will Be Available
- Browsing and borrowing of library materials.
- One hour computer reservations for Norridge and Harwood Heights residents.
- Our public Wi-Fi has been extended to reach further into our parking lot.
What’s Still Available
What’s Not Yet Available
- No study room or meeting room reservations.
- No eating or drinking in the library.
- The Workshop, Teen Space, Quiet Room, and other spaces may be closed.
- No in-person programs or events.
- No book donations will be accepted.
- Fannie’s Cafe will be temporarily closed. The location at 4042 N. Milwaukee Ave is open.
Contactless Home Delivery and Curbside Pickup
Since June 4th we have been offering home delivery of books, movies, and other library materials to residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights.
We’re also offering curbside pickup for drivers and pedestrians.
To request pickup or delivery:
Place holds on books, movies, or other items as you normally would. You can place holds online in the library catalog or by calling 708-867-7828.
When your items are ready, we will contact you to discuss how you would like to receive your materials.
If you choose curbside pickup, come to the library and follow the posted instructions for drivers or pedestrians.
If you choose delivery, your loans will be delivered to your home and you will receive a phone call or text message letting you know that they have arrived.
Remember, borrowed materials may be returned in the drive-up book drops accessible from Wilson Avenue.
What Else Are We Doing to Keep Patrons and Staff Safe?
During this reopening period we are implementing procedures to make the transition as safe as possible.
- While in the building, staff will be issued personal protective equipment including gloves, face coverings, and hand sanitizer.
- We will offer shortened hours to allow time for enhanced cleaning.
- Based on current research, library materials will be quarantined for at least seven days before being returned to circulation. Materials will be checked in and removed from patron accounts after the end of quarantine. No late fees will be incurred.
- Plexiglas shields have been placed at all public service points.
- Seating within the library will be reduced and separated to promote social distancing.
- Public computer stations will be separated as well.
- All toys will be removed from Kids World.
- Staff experiencing Covid-19 related symptoms will be required to stay home.
Call us at 708-867-7828 or use our live online chat.