Kids World offers story-based programs for all ages. For age specific storytimes, your child must be in the correct age range to attend. For developmental marker storytimes, you child must have particular skill to attend. All storytimes are currently in English. All storytimes require registration and are currently mask optional.
While there are multiple options for some age groups, to allow everyone to have a chance to participate, adults are encouraged to bring their child to one in-person storytime per week. However, adults are welcome to bring their child to their sibling’s in-person storytime if they had been included in the “Group” at the time of registration.
Please note: there will be no storytime during the month of December. We’ll see everyone back in January for more storytime fun!
Registration for January’s in-person storytimes will begin on Tuesday, December 26th for residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights. (Note the Library is closed Friday, January 12th so that Pre-School Pals Storytime session will only be two weeks long.)
|Date||Time||Class Name||Ages for||Registration|
|Tuesdays, January, 9th-23rd||9:30 AM||Toddler Time Storytime (In-person)||For walking toddlers, up to 35 months with an adult||Register for the entire 3 week session with staff|
|Wednesdays, January 10th-24th||9:30 AM||Little Movers Storytime (In-person)||For walking tots, up to 35 months with an adult||Register for the entire 3 week session with staff|
|Wednesdays, January 10th-24th||10:30 AM||Family Morning Storytime (In-person)||Ages 12 & under with an adult.||Register for the entire 3 week session with staff|
|Thursdays, January, 11th-25th||6:00 PM||Family Evening Storytime (In-person)||Ages 12 & under with an adult.||Register for the entire 3 week session with staff|
|Fridays, January 19th & 26th||10:00 AM||Pre-School Pals Storytime (In-person)||Ages 3 to 5 years with an optional adult||Register for the entire 2 week session with staff|
Registration for February’s in-person storytimes will begin on Monday, January 29th for residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights. Classes and times will be announced closer to the start of the session.
- Due to limited class sizes, in-person storytimes are for residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights only.
- For most in-person storytimes, each child should have a participating adult. However, for 3 to 5 year old attendees of PreSchool Pals Storytime, having an accompanying adult in the room is optional, but the adult should plan on staying close by in case of assistance for bathroom break and the like.
- Children attending need to either turn the appropriate age during the current storytime session or have achieved the specified developmental marker. Siblings in other age groups are welcome as long as they were included in the “Group” count during registration.
- If your child grows restless or upset, please give them a break from the storytime room to calm down.
- Help us keep distractions to a minimum by leaving toys at home and going to the bathroom or having a snack before storytime starts.
- You are a great example for your child. Participate to the best of your ability to encourage them to do so as well.
- Listening is a learned skill. We ask adults and children to wait until play time to chat, call, or text with others.
- If your child is sick, please stay home to prevent the spread of germs.
- Have fun!
The Tick Tock Song
“The Tick Tock Song” is done in the beginning of most storytimes. During storytime, Mr. Duckie jumps up from behind our storytime clock on the “Cuckoos.” It remains a favorite among parents and kids.
The song can be easily adapted for home use. Mr. Duckie (or even a clock) is not needed to have fun jumping and calling out “Cuckoo.” However, your child can follow along with the video.
Tick Tock Lyrics
Tick Tock, Tick Tock
I’m a little cuckoo clock
Tick Tock, Tick Tock
Now I’m chiming one o’clock
During storytime, we repeat the song for two and three o’clock. The number of times “Cuckoo” is said relates to what time it is. For example, for two o’clock, “Cuckoo” is said twice.
Tick Tock Directions
For Babies: Adult sits or stands, holding a baby face out. As adult sings the song, rock child back and forth. Adult lifts or bounces the child up on the “Cuckoo.”
For Older Kids: Child stands and rocks back and forth as the song is sung. Child jumps on the “Cuckoo.”